   RE: [xml-dev] W3C's five new XQuery/Xpath2 working drafts - Still miss

repositories.

I for one would like to see someone elaborate on these points, and relate
them back to the original question more clearly:  How is XPath's lack of
strong typing or functions going to cost anybody money in the next couple of
years?  Is the difficulty of syntax-level XPath optimization (transforming a
query expression into an equivalent expression that can be executed more
efficiently) a significant cost factor for real businesses?

I accept the desireability of XQuery being a language that can query an XML
view of relations, objects, and XML documents/data in a consistent manner.
In the long run, a unified notion of "types" has to be developed that
transcends all three.  What I don't see is a compelling BUSINESS case for
prioritizing this above a simple update syntax along the lines of the simple
SQL examples that people always cite as what they want to do with XQuery.
What am I missing  here?