   Re: [xml-dev] W3C's five new XQuery/Xpath2 working drafts - Still missi

I agree with both your points about strong typing and functions.  Where I
disagree is in the priorities.  A significant number of business applications are
being written using DTD's where the notion of typing does not exist.  Functions
can and should be dealt after UPDATE.  What is the point of INSERT ing something
when I do not have a standard mechanism for altering it or UPDATING it.  I think
this limits use to the "read-only" world as far as applications are concerned.

At the beginning of this discussion, I was not sure where I stood.  Now I am
certainly in the "some UPDATE semantics even if incomplete" before XQuery gets to
recommendation camp.

Soumitra

PS. Jonathan, you do not have to respond before you get back from vacation.