   RE: [xml-dev] XML "tuple spaces" alpha technology demonstrated

I (and I suspect the RogueWave and JXTA-spaces people as well) would
completely agree that any XML "spaces" solution must either be layered on
HTTP/WebDAV or have an HTTP binding to have any chance at success.
JavaSpaces dependence on Jini was almost certainly the largest nail in its
coffin. [I'd also assert that it's reliance on strong typing makes it less
useful in a loosely coupled environment than Linda or Ruple, but that's
another thread :~) ]

I think of the various XML spaces as being at the layer above SOAP -- they
provide an additional layer of services that doesn't come for free in HTTP
or SOAP, and a Linda-like coordination protocol would have about the same
architectural relationship to SOAP as RPC has.  Specifically, the various
"spaces" implementations offer the basic read/GET and write/PUT operations
that HTTP does, but also:

- "take" (GET and DELETE in an atomic operation),
- associative lookup (XML databases such as Tamino do this with XPath on top
of HTTP, but it's not part of HTTP or WebDAV at present)
- "leases" (automatic cleanup of entries that nobody "takes" after a
specified period of time)
-  security (Ruple adds digital signature support for encryption an
non-repudiability).

Wouldn't using raw HTTP as the coordination protocol require some more
sophisticated application-level logic to provide analogous services?  As
Gavin has noted, this is not easy for ordinary developers to grok, so a
"spaces" service layer on top of HTTP makes sense to me.