   Re: [xml-dev] XML "tuple spaces" alpha technology demonstrated

  • To: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com (Champion, Mike)
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML "tuple spaces" alpha technology demonstrated
  • From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:13:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

> > I'm suggesting that doing it "beside" HTTP makes better sense
> > than doing it "on top of".
>
> Ahhh ... I see the point now.

That was fast!

>  Makes sense to me, but I'm not sure of the
> implications for Ruple, JXTA-spaces, IETF, Apache, etc.

One of the implications is that there's an awful lot of unnecessary
work underway, and not just in open source circles.  Though I suppose
that if a deeper understanding of HTTP & Web architecture is a result,
then it won't have been in vain.

>  How would the
> "spaces" people move in that direction, or get the world to move in that
> direction?

Tell them to move it themselves, like the rest of us. 8-)

> I think I need to look into HTTP extensibility more deeply.

For sure, but if you haven't already, I'd suggest spending some time
looking into the expressiveness of HTTP as-is.  Trying to extend it
without understanding that will likely yield problems.

This may help;

http://www.markbaker.ca/2001/09/draft-baker-http-resource-state-model

> Thanks for the clarification!

My pleasure.