   RE: [xml-dev] The Two Poles of the XML World

[...nice summary cropped...]

> So, what might the decision tree to steer someone to the "strong" pole or
> the "loose" pole look like?  I'll just throw out a few criteria that would
> tend to point in one direction or the other, and maybe others can add to or
> critique them:

Perhaps these are 'smells' rather than decisions? Some of them
appear to be side-effects of external pressures, rather than actual
decisions. (I expect you were using the term 'decision tree' loosely
anyway).

I'll throw out a new one to begin with:

Are you early in your development/standardisation cycle -> loose
Do you have extensive experience within the domain -> strong

> Are your requirements and environments predictable and stable? -> strong
> Is everything changing faster than you can cope? -> loose

Another way to phrase this might be:

Are you confident that your have captured all your requirements? -> strong
Is change expected? -> loose

> Are you importing/exporting strongly typed data? -> strong
> Are you importing/exporting loosely structured data? -> loose

I wonder if we can decompose that further? For example I can
imagine scenarios in which systems might be loosely coupled, but
that individual data elements are still strongly typed. E.g. where
we've got a mixture of namespaced data, some of which may
be ignored.

Are you working with closed schemas? (XSD?) -> strong
Are you working with open/extensible schemas? (Schematron?) -> loose

Schematron schemas are open by default, XSD the reverse.

Can we distinguish between applications that depend on data-typing (strong),
rather than on structure (loose)?

> Are you developing with Java or C++/C#? -> strong
> Are you developing with script or VB? -> loose

While I agree that scripting is equated with looser environments, I'd
disagree that use of Java/C++/C# necessitates a strong environment.
They do facilitate use of data-bindings, but don't require them.

Perhaps the more general decision is whether one is using data-bindings
to map to language types?

How about also:

Are you using non-XML aware tools (grep, regexps, etc) -> loose

> Do you have authority to make others do the right thing? -> strong
> Are you at the mercy of folks who live by Murphy's Law? -> loose

Somewhat related:

Are you processing data from multiple sources -> loose
Are you exchanging data with business partners -> strong

Another way to state this might be:

Are you aware of everyone who is processing your data -> strong
Are you distributing data to multiple endpoints, some of which are unknown -> loose

Cheers,

L.