   Effective XML

During the discussion on pull-apis last month, James Clark
recommended the book 'Effective Java', prompting me to
add it to my reading list.

On scanning the introduction, I saw that the author (Joshua
Bloch) explained that he'd borrowed the concept from Effective
C++ which also sets out 50 odd language best practices.

It started me wondering whether there are 50 rules for
Effective XML?

I suspect that there are probably a great deal more than 50,
simply because the domain is getting so big. But I'm sure that
there are some good high-level guidelines which might be
grouped in categories.

A couple off the top of my head:

- Document your Namespaces using RDDL
- Avoid using external entities when exchanging documents
- Use SAX for efficiency

Anyone care to add some others?

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, Ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"