   RE: [xml-dev] W3C's five new XQuery/Xpath2 working drafts - Still miss

At 11:21 PM 1/2/2002 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 21:09, Champion, Mike wrote:
> > No amount of post-hoc formalism can create elegance when it
> > does not exist in the core of a design.
>
>And worse, post hoc formalism seems like an opportunity to formalize all
>kinds of complexity while creating new ones.

I agree that we should have hocked it first.

I would not call XML Schema elegant. It definitely has that "designed by a
committee" feel. However, even the post-hoc formalism can help identify
places to simplify the design, for the simple reason that things that are
ambiguous or complex are hard to formalize. Note that the FD does not even
attempt to capture the current definition of restriction in XML Schema.

Jonathan