   Re: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> In the current syntax, the above constructor creates a PI and a comment
> within the element. If XQuery were an XML syntax, we would have to create
> comments and PIs some other way, eg:
>
>          <foo>
>          {
>             processing-instruction("fmt", font="bold"),
>             xml-comment("The above PI is for my favorite formatting engine")
>            }
>          </foo>
>
> I prefer to be able to use the straight XML syntax, as in the current WD.

But this is inconsistent with XSLT, which also constructs XML, but using
standard XML syntax:

<foo>
 <xsl:processing-instruction ... />
 <xsl:comment ... />
</foo>

Not saying which is better or anything, but any inconsistency in how
common operations are performed deserves some careful thinking before
being officially endorsed...

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell