   Re: [xml-dev] No to RELAX-NG (for now)

On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 12:49, Mark Evans wrote:
> The big problem with XML is that these floating standards never
> get out of committee.

Er, no.  The big problem with XML seems to be the committees themselves,
and the nature of the standard appears to be dictated by the nature of
the committee.  There are some standards (W3C XML Schema in particular)
that would likely be much more successful if they were never permitted
out of committee, thereby avoiding the pain that
design-by-large-vendor-committee seems very good at producing.

> Now we see schemas finally making their
> escape.  That is a good thing.

Except that W3C XML Schema is a wretched combination of too big and
simultaneously underspecified, with an amazing capability for creating
apparently unsolvable interoperability problems.

> I dislike the idea of replacing
> them with something else.  That move is like taking a 90-degree turn in
> the road at 60 MPH.  XML will crash.

If W3C XML Schema is considered core to the definition of "XML", XML
already has crashed.  It's time to look past this three-letter acronym
and figure out what's good for getting work done with markup, not what
felt good to the W3C and its members.

Uncertainty seems like a much better thing to me than entombment in W3C
XML Schema.

--
Simon St.Laurent
"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue