   Re: [xml-dev] Q. about 'DOM-Hash-total'

From: "Ronald Bourret" <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>

> "Insignificant whitespace"

I think you mean "ignorable whitespace" ...

>    is a concept introduced by SAX 1.0 for the
> situation you described -- whitespace that appears between child
> elements in an element known to have element content.

No, it's actually defined by the XML 1.0 specification.  Validating
parsers must report that kind of whitespace specially.  And since
it's easy for any parser that reads the (whole) DTD to report that,
most SAX parsers do it too.

There is whitespace that's completely hidden by XML parsers,
inside markup constructs ("<like   this   =   'starttag'   />") and
in document prologues/epilogues.  Different issue; SAX does
not expose that either.

- Dave