   Re: [xml-dev] XML Parsing using DOM parser

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> I'm sure you mean this isn't the way the DOM is designed to be used and not
> XML. A 10MB XML document stored in an NXDB or XML-enabled DB with proper
> indexes and a DML should be able to handle his problems a whole lot better
> than using the DOM can.

The original question mentioned multiple catalog items in the same XML
document and the wish to update each of these items. Both XML and the
DOM are agnostic on whether this is a good, bad, or indifferent
practice.

However, if the document is used to permanently store the data, then
this is generally considered to be poor practice. If you're not using an
XML database, then the obvious reasons are slow access and single-user
access. If you are using an XML database, then slow access should be
solved by indexing, but single-user access may still be a problem
(depending on the database). In either case, your data is not
"normalized" in the sense that you have multiple pieces of unrelated
data in a single "row".

(On the other hand, if the document is transient, such as when it is
used to transport data from on database to another and your application
is simply an intermediary performing a transform, then best practices
are less clear.)

-- Ron