   Re: [xml-dev] Question on using xs:pattern to restrict xs:dateTime

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To: "Dare Obasanjo" <kpako@yahoo.com>
Cc: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 3:46 AM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Question on using xs:pattern to restrict xs:dateTime

> "Dare Obasanjo" <kpako@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Is this a valid schema
> >
> > <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>
> > <xsd:simpleType name="myTimeType">
> >       <xsd:restriction base="xsd:dateTime">
> >         <xsd:pattern value="\d\d:\d\d(:\d\d)?" />
> >          <xsd:whiteSpace value="collapse" />
> >       </xsd:restriction>
> > </xsd:simpleType>
> > </xsd:schema>
>
> I don't think so -- \d is not a valid W3C XML Schema pattern regexp
> component, on my reading of the REC.

Interesting I though it was part of

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#nt-MultiCharEsc

[37]    MultiCharEsc    ::=    '.' | ('\' [sSiIcCdDwW])

> > and if so why? If not, is there any validating parser that will give an
error
> > message on validating it.
>
> Sorry, XSV doesn't touch the pattern facet at all

Why not? From what I've seen the pattern facet can easily be made to create
illegal restrictions which none of the validating parsers I have tried warns
about.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #16
I will never utter the sentence "But before I kill you, there's just