   RE: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

Jonathan Borden wrote:
> A somewhat long time ago (i.e. circa 2000) I wrote a little XML
> editor which
> compiled itself into XSLT http://www.openhealth.org/editor/. Work on this
> was merged into the XUpdate progect of xml:db
> http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate/xupdate-wd.html. I think that the
> XSLT _syntax_
> is perfectly capable of _expressing_ updates, and any issues are left to
> implementations.

XEditor has been an influence in what we've been discussing on the
TransQuery list w.r.t XSLT as an XML update language. The key distinction
between the two approaches is that XEditor hides complexity of XSLT
implementation via preprocessing a la Schematron, while TransQuery update
hides complexity of XSLT implementation via xsl:import (thereby
transparently using pure XSLT 1.0).

Evan