   RE: [xml-dev] 2002 as the year of XML (meltdown due to patents)

  • To: "Mike Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] 2002 as the year of XML (meltdown due to patents)
  • From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:58:57 -0800

> that Dave's opinion is somewhat colored by the bizarre UFIL patent
that
> RDF and RSS allegedly violate.  I can definitely sympathize, but if
Dave
> and the others who created RSS had used CSV or an EDI-like format
rather

One ironic point about this particular case is that RSS presumably is
under scrutiny simply because a recent version of RSS is based on RDF.
However, Dave is quite notorious for not wanting RDF in RSS, and he even
forked RSS to make sure that there was a non-RDF version he could use.

In any case, I agree with your point that XML doesn't necessarily change
anything in this case -- the same issues would apply even if RDF used
CSV or some other format (like TimBL's "N3").

And I'm not going to even start about the "uniqueness" of coming up with
a serialization format for the template:

Entity "x" asserts that object "y" has characteristic "z".