   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT and XQuery

Mike Champion wrote:

>... How can we get the good and the best to kiss and make up with respect
to XPath/XSLT/XQuery?

Assuming the XPath 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 models have been merged, and since
XSLT is XML and XQuery 1.0 isn't, then aren't things close to being as
compatible as might reasonably be expected?  Perhaps I am dense, but at the
end of a long discussion, I am missing what the big issue is (aside from the
glaring need for UPDATE in XQuery).

From my point of view, basically, people are using XSLT for lots of
purposes, and other people that like SQL now have XQuery. As a query
language, SQL has been a great thing, relatively simple and accessable for
programmers -- a characteristic of a great language is that using it hides
the complexity of the thought that went into designing it. Now it remains to
be seen whether XQuery will fly, but perhaps the best test is to give it a
kick out of the nest.

Jonathan