   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT and XQuery

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 05:38:05PM -0000, Michael Kay wrote:
> The XQuery and XPath documents are generated from a single XML master
> source. We decided that users would find it more convenient if the common
> material was present in both documents rather than requiring constant
> cross-referencing from one to the other. Internally we work with a master
> HTML document that describes both languages, using color to highlight the
> differences. There are many ways of tackling the presentation, but it's
> essentially an editorial problem rather than a technical one.

Is it possible to offer/produce a non-normative version of the
specification that states where the normative references can be
found?  That is, instead of including the relevant parts of XPath,
QName behavior, etc., add a brief snippet of text that says "this
is REC-xxx, section yyy" or somesuch.

Once the foundations are understood (XPath), repeating the foundation
material (in XQuery, XSLT) obscures what the secondary spec is
trying to add to the conversation.  Especially for the semi-casual
reader who is wading through ~1000 pages of printed working drafts...

Just $0.02,

Z.

PS: if the single XML master were available, the appropriate XSLT
    stylesheets would be an exercise for the reader; how difficult
    is it to reconstruct the single master from the split XML versions?