   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT and XQuery

Mike Champion wrote:
> The Big Issue that I see is
> roughly what JJ Andersen said elsewhere in this thread:
>
> "If XQuery goes ahead without Update, it will become a nice tool, but not
> a real usefull standard. And we will see independent update semantics
> emerge from Oracle, IBM, MS etc. and chaos will prevail."

I'm having a hard time buying this. Right now, all database companies
have different query *and* update languages. XQuery without update will
standardize the query half. This is less chaotic than the current
situation, so I don't see how it's a bad thing.

Furthermore, in the absence of implementations of XML:DB (or similar
database-independent API) for any of the major database players --
native or XML-enabled -- interoperable applications are not possible
anyway. Thus, even XQuery with updates would be a far from complete
solution from the app writer's point of view.

-- Ron