   Re: [xml-dev] Interesting XML-DIST-APP thread

> "there's an evil little secret about Web services that most vendors
> don't talk about. Web services' protocols are very fat, and that means
> that Web services interactions over the network will be slow and eat up
> a large chunk of bandwidth"

There's one mroe thing too: from what I've seen and read, traffic patterns
are changing to be more bursty than people expected (I remember something
about the fractal nature of burst patterns where there are bursts within
bursts)... so bandwidth usage is not as good as people might expect. Large
amounts of SOAP services will compound that problem is they're largely
synchronous.

In that context:
  a)  SOAP-ish systems really should be designed to be asynchronous. That's
        and interesting challenge, but a very reasonable programming model
        for many tasks.

   b) I expect a number of companies are working on routers that have
        SOAP/XML knowledge in them (continuing the trend of putting more
        functionality in the router). Such devices will likely be needed, and
        prove to be very useful in balancing network traffic in an
        organization that uses SOAP-ish things.