   Re: [xml-dev] A thought on XLink in PIs for processing directives

> PIs were a common means in SGML systems to create links.
> IDEAS/IADS worked like that originally.  It was the
> interpretation of some that links are not really content,
> they are a process/function.   It is a theoretical issue at the
> very heart of darkness for hypertext systems.

To me, it seems obvious that the xml-stylesheet PI is not content since it's
only allowed in the prolog of an XML document (before the document element).
The xsi:schemaLocation attribute, on the other hand, is content (although it
will most likely be ignored by processors other than schema validators).

Unfortunately, just like namespace declarations, xsi:schemaLocation can
appear on any element in an instance document--though it must appear before
an element or attribute is encountered in the namespace described by the
schema found at that location. Personally, I agree with Michael and would
have rather seen something like an xml-schema PI (or a more generic xml-link
PI) in the prolog--one for each namespace the document contained. This keeps
the processor-specific data out of the document and makes it really easy to
see exactly what the document contains from a really high-level point of
view.

<?xml-schema namespace='http://example.org/'
href='http://example.org/schema.xsd' type='application/xsd+xml'?>

Jason.