   RE: [xml-dev] Another strong/loose decision tree node (was Re: [xml-dev]

That's why they hire consultants and we have spouses: so someone can
tell us what we want. :-)

In the 1980sCE (CALS Era), we called it an "Automated Information System" or
AIS for short.  It divided the world into an Enterprise Database (everyone
can access it: the shared data) and Workgroup dbs (functional areas).  It all
looked very spiffy on paper.  Of course, tech at the time wasn't up to it, but
it generated a lot of papers.  Now we know that any decent relational database
with modules that can be turned on and off depending on the group privileges
works pretty much like that.  We can always add tables but renormalizing
after the fact is very painful.

So just change the terminology, nod and say, "yes we do AIS" so the
consultant will appear as if they really do have a new vision when
in fact, the same system will ship, the implementation personnel will
configure it for local conditions, and everyone will be happy.

A lot depends on the axis from custom one-off work to shrinkwrap.

len