   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services Best Practice, summary 2

                    Mike Champion
                    <mc@xegesis.or       To:     xml-dev@lists.xml.org
                    g>                   cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: [xml-dev] Web Services Best Practice, summary 2
                    01/10/02 01:07
                    PM

<snip/>

> One thing this discussion has clarified for me is that "Web Services"
cover an awful lot of application territory

<snip/>

Right, and although I admire Roger's effort to determine best practices
here I believe the market will defy such determination. There really are an
awful lot of ways these services can be used and people/developers will use
them as they see fit in their own situation. I think Amy's point is dead-on
regarding the suitability of fine- or coarse-grained services and how they
might eventually be mixed and matched. In fact as the tech becomes more
prevalent I imagine we'll eventaully start to see folks defining an array
of services to expose their system functionality in a variety of ways. Much
as you define an API today, perhaps you'll define a "Service Programming
Interface" (or dare I introduce an acronym - SPI) in the near future.

Michael A. Rossi
Computer Sciences Corporation
mailto:mrossi@csc.com
856-983-4400 x4964