   Unicode basics (was Re: ANN: Gorille 0.3)

Ronald Bourret wrote:
> For those of us who *are* ignorant about this, could we get a quick
> explanation? (Among other things, what's the difference between a
> character and a "code point", assuming I'm using the correct
> terminology...)

My favorite subject :)

I wrote up quite a bit on this at http://skew.org/xml/tutorial/
and ran it by both the Unicode and xml-dev mailing lists for accuracy.

My primary source material for the Unicode portions was Unicode
Technical Report #17 at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr17/

You might find the links at http://skew.org/xml/links/ under
"Specifications - Character Encoding" helpful.

   - Mike
  mike j. brown, fourthought.com  |  xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/
  denver/boulder, colorado, usa   |  personal: http://hyperreal.org/~mike/