   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] XML Limerick Competition

1/11/2002 3:35:49 PM, "Jeff Rafter"
<jeffrafter@defined.net> wrote:

> Although I am not sure about the fringe cases :
> e.g. "beema"

I'll gladly assent to the requirement that all words
in the limerick be entries in the OED.

I had more or less the same algorithm in mind  --
use regular expressions to find the words, look them
up in a dictionary to extract the syllables, compare
the syllable/line count to the defined pattern ... I
don't know how to check the rhyming, but I'd also
assent to some trivial definition if there is no
well-known algorithm or heuristic for checking
whether two syllables rhyme.  I'm just not sure what
XML (broadly defined) brings to the solution.

BTW, a Googling for this resulted only in a paper on
Michael Sperberg-McQueen's W3C page, but the DTD
punts on the hard problems and just has <dimeter>
and <trimeter> tags.

I'm reminded of my original posting in this thread,
which suggested that its inspiration for this
contest came from somewhere about which Dante is the
acknowledged authority ... I hope they're building a
new Circle down there for the next person who
sponsors such a thing!