   RE: SV: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? And DOA?

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Mark Seaborne wrote:

> NB, the context I know best is b-to-b messaging, and believe you me, you do
> get some really weird variations on "csv" - largely I think because people
> so often try to squeeze complex logical structures into completely
> inappropriate physical structures.

I once worked on a project in which CSV files were exchanged with various
other parties. The CSV files often didn't match the formats we'd agreed
with them in contracts.

When the idea of XML came up, it was vetoed by the technical people for
the simple reason that if the partners can't get CSV right - and we had by
then established a lot of experience of how wrong the CSV could be, and
our parser handled all of the different date formats and delimiter choices
imaginable - then they didn't have a hope in hell of getting XML right,
and an off the shelf parser would be hard to extend to deal with their
cockups...

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell