   XML restrictions on LF characters?

Hello All,
I am new to this site. I work OPIN Systems. We work on Document Distrbution
SW products. I have  been using XML for the last 7-8 months or so.

I have noticed that whenever I created xml files, the restrictions on where
to put the LF characters are very rigid.  For example, in the following
file, if the node is leaf and not a CDATA section, I do not use LF after the
begining or closing tag.  If the node is not a leaf, I do use a LF character
after the begining and closing tags. I found this out by testing it. I kept
getting DOM Parser errors until I started to follow this rule. Can anyone
give me more insight into why this is happening?

<!ELEMENT reportName (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT folderId (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT reportDescription (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT generationDescription (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT keyword (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT indexList (index?)>
<!ELEMENT index (indexField,indexValue)>
<!ELEMENT indexField (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT indexValue (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT captureDateFrom (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT captureDateTo (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT reportDateFrom (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT reportDateTo (#PCDATA)>
]>
<searchrequestinfo>
<reportName></reportName>
<folderId>-19</folderId>
<reportDescription>
<![CDATA[deceases]]>
</reportDescription>
<generationDescription>
<![CDATA[Prestige USA]]>
</generationDescription>
<keyword>
<![CDATA[blood]]>
</keyword>
<indexList>
</indexList>
<captureDateFrom>19901001</captureDateFrom>
<captureDateTo>20030101</captureDateTo>
<reportDateFrom></reportDateFrom>
<reportDateTo></reportDateTo >
</searchrequestinfo >