   Re: [xml-dev] processing trees

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 06:01 pm, Richard Tobin wrote:
> It would not be too difficult a project for an undergraduate to
> write an NFS server that let you mount an XML file as a filesystem.
> Works across the net too!

One hack I did about 5 years ago, was to take DynaWeb, and wrap it
with an NFS server. TOC's became directories, and "pages" became files
(I said "pages" because in DynaWeb, pages are virtual, as are TOC's).
I changed the TOC stylesheet, and voila! a different directory
structure ;-)

The fun thing was to then mount that NFS server in the space of a Web
server, so that we had:

   browser - (http) ->NFS->dwnfs -- (http) --> DynaWeb -> XML

Truly sick when you think about it ;-)

Took a couple of days (I've written a couple of NFS servers ... so I
reused the rough design).

If any DynaWeb users are interested in the hack, I have the
code floating around somewhere.