   RE: [xml-dev] RDDL possibilities

[...]
> There was some discussion at XML 2001 about ways to improve RDDL, and
> they seemed to come from two related directions:
>
> 1) Creating clusters of resources rather than a flat list

Don't we have something like this already, e.g. resources with
the same nature or purpose. Or was the thinking to allow arbitrary
collections?

> 2) Describing sequences for resource processing to define pipelines
> Number 2 in particular could take RDDL much deeper into
> computer interactions than has typically been the case so far.

My feeling is that defining pipelines is something for another
syntax -- i.e. lets make this modular. I think I'd prefer to be able to
define a pipeline in a syntax dedicated to that job, and then just have
RDDL link to it. Similarly to an XSLT stylesheet, the end point of
the pipeline might be defined by the arcrole.

Seeing as there's a number of pipeline related projects going
on at the moment, I think it's worth letting these play out
a little to see how things end up. At this point I think RDDL
has some very definite benefits, and this could get clouded
if it becomes put other uses. I don't see how defining
pipelines is really related to defining a directory
of resources, beyond the fact that those resources may play
a role in the pipeline processing.

Cheers,

L.