   Re: [xml-dev] Parameter entity references

>Oh, I wondered what the PEReference production was doing in there.

Pedants might also point out the word "later" in the following sentence
from 2.8:

  The productions later in this specification for individual
  nonterminals (elementdecl, AttlistDecl, and so on) describe the
  declarations after all the parameter entities have been included.

It really does appear that the productions before that point are to be
considered as pre-PE-replacement, and those after that point to be
post-PE-replacement.  I don't know whether this was actually the
intention of the original authors.

>So are
>you saying that a quoted string can begin and end in different PEs?

I can't see anything that prohibits it.  When I wrote that part of
RXP, the spec was still being written, and I just did what seemed
obvious:

>rxp > Error: Quoted string goes past entity end in entity "abc" defined at
>line 2 char 1 of file:///temp/test.dtd

I am very wary of proposing errata to fix this kind of thing, because it
is so easy to produce unintended consequences.

-- Richard