   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL (was RE: [xml-dev] Negotiate Out The Noise)

At 1:06 AM +0100 1/18/02, Nicolas Lehuen wrote:

>2) ... a description of what ? A namespace ? If RDDL describes a namespace,
>then let's be careful when providing arcroles for DTD and schemas. The case
>where one namespace = 1 DTD and 1 schema document for each schema language
>that you want to support is, like Paul wrote, a dangerous degradation of the
>namespace purpose.

But there's no such equality. A RDDL document can contain multiple
schemas and DTDs per namespace URI, as many as seem useful.

>3) It is a bit related to the scalability issue, but how do you handle
>internationalisation ? RDDL contains human-readable text, that's fine, but
>not everybody can or want to read English. So will you have all possible
>translation of the human-readable text in the SAME RDDL document ? If not,
>where should the namespace URL point to ? The English version ? Why ? How
>are you going to ensure consistency between various translations of the RDDL
>documents, since XLinks to resources are embedded within the human readable
>text ? If I have to add a new resource in the English version, do I really
>have to scan the Japanese version, not understanding anything I read, until
>I find the place where I suspect the resource XLink should go ?

Since RDDL is served over HTTP, this can be solved the same way it's
solved for HTML content negotiation: have the browser and the server
do preferred language negotiation and serve different documents
depending on user preference.

>The beginning of a solution could be to drop the 1 namespace URL = 1 RDDL
>document containing a mix of ALL related resources embedded in HTML with
>english text. Resource description is of great interested, but is should not
>be treated so lightly as RDDL does.
>
>The entry document found at the URL could purely XML with no english, the
>human-readable documents being linked as resources, with different versions
>for different languages residing in different resources. Yes, I know, this
>would remove the great joy of seeing something nice immediatly appear in
>your browser, but it's nothing an 'appropriate' stylesheet can solve.

This completely misses the point. There has to be something at the
namespace URL that looks sensible when humans type the namespace URL
into a web browser location bar. That's most of the raison d'etre for
RDDL.