   Re: [xml-dev] RE: RDDL and XML element behaviors was: Re: [xml-dev]RDDL

1/18/2002 3:04:41 PM, "Dare Obasanjo" <kpako@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I sincerely believe that RDDL is a technical solution to a social
> problem.Somewhere along the line people forgot that URI != HTTP URL
> and now RDDL is an attempt to shoehorn
> yet another layer of complexity to solve a problem created
> after the fact by short sightedness in the
> early usage of namespaces.

Well, you're right, strictly speaking -- if the bizarre convention of
using HTTP urls for namespace URIs hadn't arisen, this list probably
wouldn't have found it necessary to define RDDL.

Actually, the "social problem" is even worse than you may realize.
The question of namespace URIs and what if anything they should
signify and how they relate to the Web and the Semantic Web is a
matter of deeply held belief in some circles. If you ever start to
think that life in the XML world couldn't get any worse and you need
some cheering up, read through
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-uri/2000May/  I know that I
really wished that I had fallen into a different career path that had
nothing to do with XML that summer!

Nevertheless, the pattern of using http urls has been set, and
"what's at the end of a namespace url" is probably the most
frequently asked  XML question of all.  RDDL just attempts to light a
single candle rather than cursing the namespace URI darkness.