   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL possibilities

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> In this case an SI is the same as a URI.

Let's make careful distinctions here.  The SI is the *resource*
named by the URI, not the URI itself.  Resources and URIs are
1-1, so this distinction isn't as important as it could be.

> If this is the case then, yes RDDL uses SIs. Steve Newcomb and I once had a
> discussion regarding the difference between a TM: "subject" and an RDF:
> "resource". My understanding was roughly that an RDF "resource" encompasses
> both a TM: "subject" as well as a "topic".

A subject is anything you can talk about, whether it is computer
accessible or not (for that matter, whether it exists or not --
"Don Quixote" is a perfectly good subject).

A subject can be identified (distinguished from other
subjects) in one of two ways:

1) It *is* a resource named by a URI
2) It is *indicated*, conventionally, by one or more resources
    named by URIs.  These resources are SIs.

So the subject "the W3C" is *identified* by the resource
whose URI is "http://www.w3c.org";.

The different subject "the home page of the W3C" just *is*
the resource whose URI is "http://www.w3.org";.

The subject "John Cowan" (me) could be identified by the
resources whose URIs are "mailto:cowan@ccil.org";,
"mailto:jcowan@reutershealth.com";, and "http://www.ccil.org/~cowan";.

A *topic* OTOH is an element in a topic map that corresponds with a
subject.  In a properly merged topic map, topics and subjects are 1-1.

> Perhaps a URI published in a publically available RDDL document, makes a PSI
> then?

In effect, yes.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>