   Re: [xml-dev] The task to be solved by RDDL. Re: [xml-dev] RDDL (was RE:

There are two issues I see here. One with which I agree with you completely
and another that I think needs to be addressed in more general a manner than
RDDL currently does and which I am curious as to your opinions on.

ISSUE 1: Namespace URIs should not be HTTP URLs and where possible this should
be deprecated. Namespaces are meant as a means to namespaces to identify and
disambiguate elements and attributes. Confusing the issue by tying these
namespaces to a web resource is incorrect because it confuses their nature and
builds certain expectations in people. Here I agree with you.

ISSUE 2: There should be a way to discover information about a Namespace URI
in both human readable and machine comprehendable form. Regardless of whether
the namespace URI is "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes" or
"http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";, I'd like to _at_the_very_least_ be
able to a.) discover the semantics of the elements and attributes in the
document by looking up the namespace URI and locating a human readable
document and b.) obtain validation information for the namespace (e.g. the
XSLT schema or DTD for the XSLT namespace) IF the creator of the namespace
(right phrase?) has deigned to make such information available. From where I
sit, RDDL does not give me this although RDDL is the "Worse is better"
solution.

So is the expectation in ISSUE 2 reasonable or should we continue with the
message that

     namespaceURI == HTTP URL that may or may not contain
                     human or machine readable information.

I hope the answer to the above question is NO and we can eventually work out a
scheme that provides the basic needs raised in ISSUE 2 above without adding an
excessive complexity burden on users, authors of XMl documents or parser
implementors.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #49
If I learn the whereabouts of the one artifact which can destroy me, I