   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL (was RE: [xml-dev] Negotiate Out The Noise)

From: "Paul T" <pault12@pacbell.net>

> I've asked only *one* question, which is "what is RDDL for,
> what is the real-life project you would use  for?" and I got
> no friggin answer, just stupid jokes.

The documentation at the end of Schematron's namespace[1] is
a RDDL document. We want something rather than nothing
at the namespace URI's resource, and we don't want
specific schemas, because the same elements may be combined
in different ways legitimately (e.g. a subset of XHTML should
still use elements from the XHTML namespace): the namespace
is primarily about general semantics, and most schemas are
unnecessarily strict.

In DZIP [2] a.k.a XAR, we define a ZIP archive and naming
conventions for document application information. It is very
appropriate if a RDDL file is used as the .html file in the root
to give documentation.

When SAX parser developers start building catalogs and RDDL
support as part of their base product, then RDDL can become
useful.  Until then, people have to support RDDL product-by-product,
which is not good for getting network effect. But the more
languages defined using RDDL, the better the groundwork will
be laid for automated processing.

ISO DSDL, mentioned on the list recently, aims to go one step
beyond RDDL, in one sense.  It aims to provide a processing
chain for schema and augmentation systems (e.g. perhaps even to be able
express things like "I want to validate my document using
RELAX NG with W3C Schemas datatypes, then run it through
a Regular Fragmentations  converter and then a Schematron
validation, then convert the RELAX schema to a W3C XML Schema
and generate the appropriate PSVI.")    That is a particularly
hairy example, but the idea, as I understand it, is that to allow
schema language modularity (i.e. to fight the "one-schema-language
-should-fit-all" bloat) we need to provide not only a way to
specify and group the schemas, but also their processing
inter-dependencies.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

[1] http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron