   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

> Oh dear ... I've already used that URI to denote the class of people
> who don't have a firm grip on the concept of naming ;-)

Heh.  But I'm afraid that it's my URI space, and only I get to decide
what my URIs identify.

> Question 1: What's to stop me doing that?

Nothing.  We can all identify bricks in our own way.

> Question 2: If there's nothing to stop me, what does this tell us
>             about the usefulness of private conventions involving the
>             use of http: URIs as names?

What private conventions?  What I did is no more private than using
the words "Mark's bricks", just with a different syntax that happens to
have some useful properties; being resolvable, being the biggie.  But
like "Mark's bricks", it can be used without resolution because
it's just a name.

> Question 3: Why is the http: URI scheme any better (or worse) than
>             any other in this regard?

Because it was designed to allow resolution and manipulation of
anything with identity.

If I was asked to identify a file, I might have chosen ftp:.
If I was asked to identify a mailbox, I might have chosen mailto:

But I can identify both with http:

MB