   RE: 'document types' was ...Re: [xml-dev] Re: Flexible Schemas

I think that we now agree at 99% :).

I just think we should not put an emphasis on the DTDs, and try to
dissociate the concept of document type and the concept of DTDs. For me, a
DTD is a schema, expressed in a particular language. DTDs should not have a
special status compared to XML Schema, RELAX NG, Schematron, etc. So to me,
the PUBLIC identifier is more interesting than the SYSTEM identifier, which
is a URI that can be resolved into a DTD.

And yes, an OASIS catalog could be used as the meta-data resource directory
that we dream of, provided that we define standard URIs for a schema, a
stylesheet etc. This means that we would need a way to reproduce the
purpose/nature model of RDDL links, but in a single URI. Suppose that I need
a RELAX NG schema, I could obtain it by resolving a URI like
'metadata://schema//RELAXNG'. URNs would be better, because they do not need
to be directly resolvable. Can OASIS catalogs help resolving URNs ?

Best regards,
Nicolas