   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

On Monday 21 January 2002 09:37 pm, Mark Baker wrote:
> - a web server near the user (such as in the browser, ala KnowNow)
> - intermediaries adding value with queueing, caching, filtering,
> routing, etc..

The problem here is security. Once you open things up, you have to
deal with the issue of disclosure of resources. Intermediaries
complicate the problem too (already do in the web. Who knows whose
spoofing whom). Peer-to-peer HTTP is fine for asycnronous work (I POST
a request, you POST a response), but there are issues in the apparent
simplicity. Those kinks need to get ironed out before this really
takes off.