   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

Miles Sabin wrote:

> Because HTTP isn't any such thing. HTTP is a synchronous, point to
> point, almost realtime, online protocol. That's inappropriate for huge
> classes of real world transactions.

I think you're incorrect but I've spent months talking with Mark Baker
learning the details and I don't have the time to re-iterate it all.
Please check out the REST wiki and consider joining the REST mailing
list.

> As an simple example, take any business transaction more long-winded
> than typing in credit card number, hitting a submit button and getting
> a near instant response. Perhaps the transaction has to be approved by
> a person, so processing takes a couple of hours (maybe much longer if
> it arrives late on a Friday evening). What might the requestor want to
> do in the interim? Disconnect from the network? Move to a different
> endpoint? Or perhaps there's a network partition during the
> transaction, or an unfriendly intermediary decides to time out an
> apparently idle connection.
>
> HTTP just wasn't designed for that kind of communication model.

HTTP is perfectly acceptable for that kind of transaction. Hint: the
"client" needs to be running a micro-HTTP server.

 Paul Prescod