   Re: [xml-dev] Is a namespace a set?

One way to look at this is that it is irrelevant. Except for the
sentence you quote, the namespaces spec talks only about mapping
prefixes to URIs. The result of this mapping is a two-part naming system
for XML names that allows the creation of unique identifiers.

A "namespace" is simply the set of all names that share the same URI.
This is not really relevant to the implementation or use of the naming
system.

For more discussion, see the following, especially myth #1:

   http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/03/08/namespaces/index.html

-- Ron