   [xml-dev] Re: RDDL -- How would you design it?

At 2:29 PM -0500 1/21/02, Clark C . Evans wrote:

>Document:
>   This is a serialized entity.
>
>Class:
>   This is a collection of documents which are
>   somehow related.  A concrete implementation
>   of a class could be a namespace URI; but
>   not all namespace URIs are classes.

This does not coincide with any of the customary meanings of the word
"class" I'm familiar with. I suggest using a different word for this
thing.

>Resource:
>   This is a Document which contains information
>   related to a Class.   Since the Resource is
>   a document, it may belong to a Class.

That's too specific for the word "resource". The word resource is
already effectively defined by the URI spec. You need a different
term here too. This sounds like what RDDL calls a "related resource".

>   Examples of Resouce Classes include, but are
>   not limited to... (a) schema to validate Documents
>   beloning to the Class, (b) transforms from documents
>   in the related Class to another Class, (c) human-readable
>   texts, such as an HTML document.
>
>Authority:
>   This is an undefined object which is vouches for
>   the autenticity of a Resource.

Again, you're overloading existing terminology. Authority is already
defined by the URI spec. I'm not sure if this definition perfectly
coincides with that or not.

>Bundle:
>   This is a tuple of (a) Authrority, and (b) a list
>   of zero or more Resources.

Id this a physical object? or merely abstract information?

>Directory:
>   This is a collection of Bundles.

Ditto.

>Questions for the model...
>
>  a. Can a Document belong to more than one Class?

I think answering this question requires a clearer definition of
"class". In fact, I think all the questions require a better
understanding of the thing you're calling a class.