   Re: [xml-dev] Being "precise" vs being "human"

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 14:49, Paul Prescod wrote:
> "Simon St.Laurent" wrote:
> > My answer to the whole mess is simple: there ain't any meaning, just
> > labels and structures.  Anything else is a bonus or a nightmare,
> > depending.
>
> If you see labels and structures where there is only "really" a string
> of Unicode characters then I think you've extracted some meaning.
> Semantic problems always seem insoluble because after we solve them
> (e.g. figuring out how to say that an element is an integer), we don't
> consider that a semantic problem any more.

Fair enough - I just have few expectations for general success above the
label/structure level.  Semantics do seem to get more difficult for
computers as we move further and further from ones and zeros.

I don't think we've begun to address the possibilities of XML's
relatively easy 'lexical' level, so I'll leave semantics to the rest of
you brave warriors.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!