   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL and document types was : Re: [xml-dev] Thetask to be

At 3:40 PM -0800 1/22/02, Michael Brennan wrote:

>>  Perhaps an attribute:
>>
>>  <root rddl:doctype="....a RDDL directory of 'document types' ...">
>
>I don't particularly like this. For one, the rddl:doctype attribute is
>essentially a processing directive. I think a PI would be more
>appropriate. (XML Schema set a bad precedent in this regard, IMHO.) I'm
>also not convinced that a specialized attribute or PI and specialized
>purpose are needed.

An attribute would only make sense if this could be applied to
multiple elements in the document and to non-root elements. But if
we're talking about *document* types as opposed to *element* types,
then the scope should be document wide, and a processing instruction
is appropriate.