   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

Al Snell wrote:

> TCP provides an emulation of a serial line, basically.
>
> UDP provides the raw network.

My point was, it isn't right to say that "UDP is reliable", "HTTP is not
reliable." Nothing is completely reliable (because the physical universe
isn't completely reliable). Anything can be made "as reliable as
possible" (given the above limitation). The only question is how much
extra work it takes. UDP apps have to do a lot more work than TCP apps,
which in turn do more work than HTTP.

> As I said before, TCP will ensure that data arrives in order, which is
> often undesirable, and it will hide packet boundaries, which is often
> undesirable.

Fine. But let's be clear that the problem is *not* reliability. It's a
bogeyman.

> The Internet would be horribly, horribly, slow to use if DNS worked over
> TCP rather than UDP... DNS uses TCP only for zone transfers, which are not
> time critical :-)

We aren't implementing DNS. Doesn't it seem a little odd to post about
the inefficiency of TCP to an *XML* mailing list? Where is the
inefficiency of a SOAP call really going to come from?

 Paul Prescod