   Re: [xml-dev] Better is better

> > Hmm, wouldn't that be Tim?  It *is* a single application.
>
> I'm not sure that Tim saw it that way. I think he, and most people saw
> it as a lot of servers (standalone applications) that could talk to
> one another... just as people *even now* see it this way. In

Roy Fielding talks briefly about the early web[1] in his dissertation.
It is my understanding that his contributions (starting in 1993, IIRC)
really brought some discipline to what was previously a bit of a mess.
It's just too bad that he didn't document this until 2000.

 [1] http://www.ebuilt.com/fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_1_4

MB