-----Original Message-----
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]

>PIs are for application-specific processing IMHO.  This is not
>application-specific at all.

I think it is application specific. It just depends on how you define
application.

The issue is that if we add an attribute then that attribute must be
declared in valid documents. We can't just go adding this willy-nilly
to XHTML or SVG or all the other documents we might want to stick it
in. We can so add a PI.

This strikes me as very analogous to the existing uses of PIs for
things like robots, cocoon preprocessing, and stylesheets. It is an
extra piece of meta-info we want to attach to documents outside of
the document's normal element structure.