   Re: [xml-dev] Being "precise" vs being "human"

"Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> writes:

> God aside, I think it's the nature of the subjects
> being discussed this particular week.  URIs and
> semantics are both contentious zones, where using
> words in particular ways can madden people quickly.

The astrologically inclined may wish to examine the
correlation between these conversations (or the
frequency with which the word "semantics" occurs in
them) and Mercury being in retrograde.

Someday we'll wake up and realize that, from an
information management-and-interchange perspective,
it's very, very useful for an element to declare that
it's an instance of multiple element types, and to be
able to invoke full syntactic validation of such
instances against all their classes, in syntactic
space, including both context and content.  Anything
less is suboptimal as a basis for flexible,
mix-and-match information interchange via XML, among
people who want to cooperate with each other, but who
have endlessly specialized local requirements.
Architectural forms, anyone?
http://www.hytime.org/htnews.html (first paragraph)

I'm puzzled by Simon's announced intention to avoid
confronting the nasty little problem of actually
interchanging knowledge, and to focus instead on purely
lexical issues.  If we don't want to communicate,
what's the point of linguistics?

-- Steve

Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
srn@coolheads.com