   RE: [xml-dev] Strategies for a lowly XML document

> From: Dare Obasanjo [mailto:kpako@yahoo.com]

<snip/>

> I probably missed your mention of this in the flood of
> traffic about this
> topic that has hit my inbox so could  you post a link to it
> in the archive or
> describe it again if you don't mind?

No problem. Here's one post:
Here's another: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200201/msg01385.html

Hopefully those convey what I'm thinking. I think a combination of fever and
cold medicine is inhibiting my communications abilities. (I think it's also
making me more irritable and impatient than usual. I probably shouldn't be
engaging in this debate, right now, but it's something of great interest to
me, and the timing is remarkably coincidental as I've been trying to
seriously dive in and explore these ideas recently.)

<snip/>

> I just looked at the XML Catalog spec[0] on the OASIS site at
> it does look
> like that particular wheel has already been  invented as
> well. Thus I am
> curious as to why this discussion has been going on for so
> long when it looks
> like the combination of RDDL + doctype PI + XML Catalog
> solves the general
> problems with obtaining metadata about an XML document.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It seems like some of the proposals are
making this whole thing out to be far more complicated than it needs to be.
That whole "doctype" thing, though, is something that I've just come around
to based on some posts early in this debate that finally sunk in with me
over the weekend. I see the need for associating things at the document
level -- not just namespace level -- and have gained a whole new
appreciation for the old DOCTYPE declaration.

<snip/>

> I took to his suggestion primarily because it is similar (at least
> superficially) with what people go through to register and
> locate web services
> with UDDI and thus would be familiar to web developers
> especially with the big
> push towards web services all the big software houses are making.

UDDI is interesting, but I think the decentralized model will continue to
dominate. Even those pushing UDDI recognize that and offer specs and
toolkits for rolling your own discovery service on your own website with no
central repository involved.

> > Every counter proposal I've seen gets this flat out wrong.
> It feels like
> > some people want to take a VW Bug and turn it into a
> Hummer. Have you
> > noticed that there are far more people drivng VW Bugs on
> the road then there
> > are driving Hummers?
>
> This statement completely puzzled me since it seemed quite
> untrue until I
> realized that  you don't live in Atlanta. :)

Heh, heh. Yeah, I guess that was a culturally presumptious analogy. You
don't see many hummers here in San Francisco.