   Re: [xml-dev] Searching of a record in a XML file

1) If you are using an XML document as a database, think twice. As you
have noticed, it's not very efficient, and by the time you finish adding
everything you need to make it efficient / useful / etc., you'll have
built a DBMS. It's generally easier to buy / download one instead.

2) If you do have a good reason to search through an XML file for a
given record -- ad hoc queries of documentation are a good example of
such a reason -- you'll get far better performance if you index the XML
document and build software that can use the index. This is one type of
native XML database. For example, see:

   http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/sigir00-xml/final-papers/Egnor/index.html

-- Ron