   Re: [xml-dev] Can XML Schema be compiled to Schematron?

Hi all,

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

 > You might start by processing your instance document with Francis
 > Norton's TypeTagger  XSLT scripts, which add the type names (of
 > elements) to an instance. That will simplify life a lot, because
 > then the Schematron schema has access to type information from its
 > XPath 1.0.

Thanks for the mention. I'm afraid that TypeTagger [1] hasn't really
moved on since the announcement - here are the contents of TypeTagger.txt

"Run typeTagger.compiler.xslt over any schema to generate a typeTagger
for that document type, then run the typeTagger instance over a document
instance and you get a fully marked up version of the document.

eg:

--
C:\Projects\typeTagger>msxsl po.xsd typeTagger_0.compiler.xslt>
po.typeTagger.xslt

C:\Projects\typeTagger>msxsl po.xml po.typeTagger.xslt> temp.xml
--

Every element in the document gets marked up with its Universal element
name and Universal element type attributes, a kind of poor-man's PSVI...

[Limitations - no support yet for xs:redefine or base/extends. Probably
lots more too!]

Also, you could use the same process to scan the document and rather
than copying out marked-up markup, apply schematron-type rules that have
been embedded in the schema."

It would be nice to look again at the limitations with Rick's advice in
mind, but I probably won't have a chance in the near future. But I'd be
delighted if anyone wants to complete or extend it.

Francis.

[1]
http://schemavalid.com/utils/typeTagger.zip