   Re: [xml-dev] There is a meaning, but it's not in the data alone

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> For schemas, nyet.  But for the Schema Definition
> language itself, da.  I don't know what RELAX NG
> is using for this. Anyone?

Well, remember that RNG provides only validation, not
interpretation:[*] it has nothing like default attributes
or entity declarations.  Therefore, the RNG attitude is that
it is the validator, not the document author, who
decides which schema to validate a document against and when.
(Although in practice the schema may often originate
with the document author, or an earlier avatar thereof.)

As a result, there is no provision in either an RNG schema
or a document to refer to the other.

> Levels.  Agreements are usually layered if negotiated.
> Blind exchanges should not be the way the web works.

Exactly.

[*]In principle, RNG-based tools could do type decoration
as well, though there are problems with overlapping types
that are not yet solved.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com