   Re: [xml-dev] Revised Internet-Draft: Media Feature - xmlns

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 21:44, Mark Baker wrote:
> > Streaming XML is a good example of where this would be a bad idea.
> > If a processor hit the stream mid stride, it would have missed the
> > namespace declarations.  The same issue applies to processing on small
> > devices, where the beginning of larger documents may be discarded from
> > memory before the document is finished processing.
>
> This kind of situation also makes it difficult to use the xmlns feature
> reliable.  I'm pondering some kind of mechanism for saying "these are
> the namespaces I know are here, more may be lurking."

Content-feature is a way to associate tagged values with a MIME message. An
xmlns is simply a URI, so this proposal can simply be thought of as a way to
associate a set of URIs with a MIME request/reply. I wouldn't specify any
particular 'meaning' of this set, allow applications to use it as desired.
In that case it really ought not be at all controversial.

Jonathan